Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Staff Sgt. Matthew Ingham USMC

Hello Ladies,
This has been so hard to write.

On January 18th I Blogged about my dear friend Kathie Ingham and today I am Blogging about her sweet son Matt.

Matt was killed in action on Monday January 12, 2010 in Afghanistan. From all that I read, 2 men from his platoon were killed and Matt was hit. One of the men killed had the radio equipment and appeared to be closer to the line of fire. Matt went to the radio equipment and called for a helicopter for his platoon to be taken out. He was able to give the correct coordinates before he was killed. The other 12 men in his platoon had survived. Matt has been called a hero.

Matt died how he lived.

As a small boy he was always heroic. I remember once where one boy was being made fun of and Matt stopped what he was doing and went over to play with him. He was a kind soul even so young. He was quiet in large groups and didn’t need to stand out. He was fun to be around and funny ~ he had quite the imagination!

I was at their house a lot and had them over often as well. Matt’s favorite food was steak and I made it for him every time!

At a friends wedding that I was in, Matthew was about 5 at the time, he came up to me on bended knee and said, “If when I’m big and you aren’t married, I would like to marry you.” I thanked him, and hugged him. Kathie told me that later that night he told her we were going to be married and he was so happy. When it was made known that I was marrying John, my little Matt was crushed. He didn’t want to speak to me or see me. Some time passed before he approved of John and was OK with me getting married. What a memory for me ~ there are many more but not enough space.

His parents were divorced from when he was really small and his mother died when he was about 9. His father was remarried and Matthew and Monica went to live with them after she passed. I did not get to see them after this. We ~ friends from Kathie’s church ~ were asked to give the children some distance to hopefully help them heal and mourn their mom ~ we might make things harder for them with all the memories of our times together.

I recently reconnected with his little sister Monica on FB and was hoping to connect with him as well. It was not meant to happen. That’s OK ~ I shall see him again with his mom, my sweet friends ~ Kathie and Matt!!

Well, my dear sistas, please join me in praying for his sister Monica, his wife Yasmin, his Dad and Step-Mom, and the rest of their family and friends.

Much love to you ~ Laurie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment