Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Time Is Here ~ Day 7

December 7
Luke 1:18-20 (NKJV) And Zacharias said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.” And the angel answered and said to him, “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.”

Zacharias ~ you just have to love him! His response reminds me of Abraham and Sarah…they too were “older than baby age” and were blessed with a child. And the angel’s response is so funny to me…can I say it like this? “Dude…don’t you know who I am…I’m Gabriel…I live in the presence of God. If I say it is so…it’s gonna be so…cuz I get my orders straight from God and He happens to be The Omniscient One!! And just so there isn’t any question in anyone else’s mind…you’re gonna be mute till it happens! Glory Be to God ~ Peace ~ Out!” And now He’s gone…he came fast and is gone fast!

Yesterday we learned that Zacharias was frightened when he first saw Gabriel. So one has to think that angels don’t look “just like humans” or why would he have been frightened. So I have to wonder, why didn’t he think it would be possible to have a baby? He just beheld an angel! Both are pretty amazing; it’s not every day one sees an angel and it is not every day someone older has a baby. Remember, from what we know in scripture God had been essentially silent for 400 years ~ not sending angels or men to prophesy.

Can you see how the birth of John is so important to the Story of Christmas? His destiny is amazing and vital…I just had to share it with you for these devotions, because I feel this section often gets overlooked. This was important to God. He had it to be prophesied about and then sent Gabriel to tell John’s parents that they had been chosen to parent this child…instead of letting it just happen and them finding out later on…God chose to do it all in an amazing and awe inspiring way.

Let God amaze you today, beloved. He is amazing! He is awe–full ~ or should I say what He does and who He is makes my heart full of awe and wonder! Praise Him, thank Him, and enjoy this day!

Merry Christmas ~ Laurie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment