Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Time Is Here ~ Day 18

December 18
Luke 1:39-45 (NKJV) Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah, and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth. And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.”

I love that Mary goes with haste to see Elizabeth. Is she running off to see someone who might understand her situation and encourage her? Or maybe she just wants to see for herself that Elizabeth is indeed with child and rejoice with her that she is no longer barren. Or is she just staying there a while to be out of sight while she is pregnant? We will see tomorrow that Mary stays with Elizabeth about three months and leaves right before Elizabeth delivers. So, whatever the “exact” reason…Mary goes in haste and stays to help for a while. As a woman, I like that she goes and I have to think it is a good thing for both women. What are your thoughts about this?


Now let’s look into this part: when Elizabeth hears Mary, the baby leaps in her womb. This is so sweet to me. If you are a mother you can relate to the excitement over your baby moving inside of you. Did your baby ever move at the sound of someone’s voice as if they were happy to hear from him or her? I am thinking of the times when my husband could finally feel the baby’s movement and it seemed that the baby was “playing” with him as he talked and touched my belly.

Think about this for a moment. This is the first time that Mary sees Elizabeth while she is pregnant, and so, little John moves to the voice of a stranger. Now that makes the whole event even more miraculous to me. It’s as if God-inspired knowledge was given to this developing 6 month old baby in utero.

Recall with me it says Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit at her greeting as well. What are your thoughts about this? What do you make of this greeting, their first encounter after being with child? Talk out your thoughts prayerfully with God and pray for this new day ahead of you…I hope it is amazing for you, beloved!

Merry Christmas ~ Laurie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment