Thursday, October 15, 2009

You have turned for me

My all time favorite scripture is Psalm 30. This came to be because of a time of hardship when I was newly saved. One of my devotions this past week caused me to think of that moment in my journey and in turn this portion of scripture.

Let me share with you my moment:

I was newly saved and talking to one of my school friends about how I was so excited to know Jesus for real and know for sure that I was going to heaven. She then told me that she went to church all the time too and that she enjoyed going.

She also said that she would love to go to church with me and I thought that that was great. We knew each other since elementary school and it meant so much to me to go to church together ~ that is was another great thing to do together and make some more awesome memories...ya know?

We went and she was blown away by the goodness of God and we talked and talked for days about her experience. I think this is where her parents stepped in...cause she wasn't allowed to go back with me.

She told me it was great for me to go and she would go to her parents church and we could still hang out. So we did. Then some crazy things happened next with one example being parties ~ "alcohol parties". She said come on it is just a party and it's OK with God...He doesn't care that you do it. I was not liking it...but not wanting to be "left out"...so I went...it was horrible...I felt horrible just being there and I only took one sip of beer!

You may ask...what is so wrong with that? What is all the fuss about? That's nothing Laurie Kay. Well, it was something to me. You see I had a problem with alcohol.

My problem: Before I became a Christian at the age of 16, I used it as a buffer for awkward situations ~ as calmer for my nerves ~ as a way to let loose and be outgoing. I/we (my friends and I) started just taking it from my and my friend's parents cabinets to have on the weekends to try it ~ then we took it to get wasted ~ then we got older people to get it for us to host our own parties ~ I even would get drunk on the way to school. It was sad ~ sad because I was looked at as being cool to do those things and provide for my friends.

When you become a Christian...you are a new creation in Christ Jesus ~ all the old is gone ~ all things become new...I took this scripture from 2 Corinthians 5:17 close to my heart and felt God say this lifestyle is not for you ~ I have better for you, better than the world could ever provide.

I went through a time of purging ~ so to speak ~ right after this and this scripture was a great comfort to my soul...and God used it many times through the years over and over again to mold, change, comfort and bless my socks off!

Enjoy ~ Psalm 30:1-12 (NKJV) I will extol You, O LORD, for You have lifted me up, And have not let my foes rejoice over me. O LORD my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me. O LORD, You brought my soul up from the grave; You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. Sing praise to the LORD, you saints of His, And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name. For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. Now in my prosperity I said, “I shall never be moved.” LORD, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong; You hid Your face, and I was troubled. I cried out to You, O LORD; And to the LORD I made supplication: “What profit is there in my blood, When I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your truth? Hear, O LORD, and have mercy on me; LORD, be my helper!” You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

He loves you so much sistas and so do I ~ Laurie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment