Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Shine on sistas!!

I had a hard time as a new believer stepping out of my comfort zone and approaching total strangers to tell them that Jesus loved them and that they needed Him in their life. It was such a "big" thing to go door to door...you were looked on as having great boldness in the faith if you did this. I was more comfortable talking to friends and family.

I remember thinking that I was totally letting God down by feeling this way. Like I was ashamed of Him...yet I wasn't ashamed of Him and would open my mouth every time I thought I could ~ I just could not get past that "go door to door to total strangers" thing.

At 16, I wore Jesus Rules shirts {JESUS RULES was written across the back of my tees} to school for pity's sake...how un-bold was I really??? Well, sistas, it still bothered me.

It bothered me bad. Then one day while I was having my devotions before going to work at Denny's ~ I believe God lead me to this scripture...1 Peter 3:15 (NIRV) But make sure in your hearts that Christ is Lord. Always be ready to give an answer to anyone who asks you about the hope you have. Be ready to give the reason for it. But do it gently and with respect.

I prayed and cried before the Lord...that I wanted someone to ask me that. I was putting His Word in my heart and I made it my aim to obey Him. Why didn't anyone ask me this question?

So I went to work and did my job. Then 3 boys from High School came in and we were chatting and the one just out of the blue asked me!!! I was floored and so I answered him and we talked the whole time they were in...it was amazing how slow work was that night and the time I was able to spend talking to them.

What I learned then, was that I did not need to "only" go door to door to be a witness. Living for Him was being a witness. Living my life like an open book...being real, honest and "showing" my devotion to Him spoke louder than just my words spoken alone. What powerful words in this text:

  • make sure in your hearts that Christ is Lord
  • always be ready to give an answer ~ to anyone who asks you ~ about the hope you have
  • be ready to give the reason for it
  • do it gently and with respect

Ever since then, I do my part of putting His Word in me and spending time in prayer with Him ~ seeking His will, wisdom and asking Him to help me know when to speak and when not to speak...it has been a crazy blessed 21 years of Him leading me.

I thought of sharing this story with you because I heard this song on K-LOVE the other night and it reminded of that time at Denny's and the lesson I learned.

Here is just the chorus ~ Shine by Newsboys

Chorus

shine
make ´em wonder what you've got
make ´em wish that they were not
on the outside looking bored
shine
let it shine before all men
let´em see good works, and then
let ´em glorify the Lord

Shine on sistas!!!
Jesus loves you so much & so do I ~ Laurie Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment